What is Web3?
Web3 is a term used to describe the next generation of the internet, which is decentralized and powered by blockchain technology. It is a new way of building and using applications that are more secure, interoperable, transparent, and user-centric.
Explore Web3 with Metamask's Learn Web3 Platform: https://learn.metamask.io/overview
Some of the key terms in Web3 include:
Blockchain: A decentralized, distributed ledger that records transactions in a secure and transparent way.
Smart contracts: Self-executing contracts that automatically enforce the terms of an agreement between parties.
Decentralized applications (dApps): Applications that run on a decentralized network, rather than a centralized server.
Non-fungible tokens (NFTs): Unique digital assets that are stored on a blockchain and can be bought, sold, and traded like physical assets.
Who is Vitalik Buterin?
Vitalik Buterin is a computer programmer and founder of Ethereum. He was born in Kolomna, Russia, on January 31, 1994. He became involved with cryptocurrency early in its inception, co-founding Bitcoin Magazine in 2011. He is best known for creating Ethereum, a decentralized, open-source blockchain featuring smart contract functionality. He first described Ethereum in a white paper in November 2013. He was also a co-founder of Ethereum along with Joseph Lubin, Charles Hoskinson, Anthony Di Lorio, and Gavin Wood. He was named to the Forbes 30 Under 30 list at age 23. He is considered one of the most influential people in the cryptocurrency industry
Here are 10 more historic blockchain pioneers:
- Satoshi Nakamoto: The creator(s) of Bitcoin, the first blockchain-based cryptocurrency. Their identity remains unknown even today.
- Gavin Andresen: A software developer who was the lead developer of Bitcoin from 2010 to 2014.
- Nick Szabo: A computer scientist and cryptographer who is known for his work on digital contracts and smart contracts.
- David Chaum: A computer scientist who is known for his work on digital cash and cryptography.
- Hal Finney: A computer scientist and early Bitcoin contributor who was the first person to receive a Bitcoin transaction from Satoshi Nakamoto.
- Mihai Alisie: A Romanian entrepreneur who co-founded Bitcoin Magazine and Ethereum.
- Anthony Di Iorio: A Canadian entrepreneur who co-founded Ethereum and founded Decentral, a blockchain company.
- Charles Hoskinson: An American entrepreneur who co-founded Ethereum and founded IOHK, a blockchain company.
- Joe Lubin: A Canadian entrepreneur who co-founded Ethereum and founded ConsenSys, a blockchain company.
- Gavin Wood: A British computer programmer who co-founded Ethereum and founded Parity Technologies, a blockchain company.
Atlanta's Web3 Community
Atlanta has many Web3 centric resources and a thriving community. From Atlanta Blockchain Center, to Crypto Monday, and Umba Diama, Atlanta is a great place to grow a technology business.
Explore more on our Resources page: